Yesterday was the annual City Slicker Horse Show. Every year the City Slickers (which is a riding program for inner city kids) holds their end of the year show. This was the very first year that it was held at Lazy D Ranch. It also signified the one year anniversary of having moved to the brand new barn. The show started at 10am but my sister and I got there are around 8:45am. My job for the last two years has been to get the drill team riders all put together for pictures and such before the big event. Let's just say, as always, I was running around like a chicken without a head, sweating buckets as I am brushing, tacking up the horses, putting on boots, helping the riders find their saddles and clothing. It didn't help that it was so hot and humid out!! Somehow we managed to do it. I don't know how.
Pictures were taken and then everyone was hustled up to the ring to start the show. They had the singing of the American and Puerto Rican national anthems. Then they had a ceremony for Jose Rios. Jose passed away in December and it's been a struggle without him. The ceremony was moving and I found tears coming, but he would have wanted us to be out there having fun. After that the drill team did their thing and then it was time for the gymkannah. These are fun mounted games that take speed, stamina, strength and agility. And the rider has to be there working the entire time not to go off course. It was a lot of fun watching the riders and horses go around the barrels. I got some amazing pictures and Ruth (the head of the program) told me I was hired for next year to take pictures! After the games are done, the younger kids ride the horses in little fun classes and events. The drill team riders and other counselors are all out there with the kids and horses and escorting kids who need it and stuff like that. I was roped into running around as an escort and taking care of my horse since the little kids were using him. All in all it was a really good day. Long, but so amazing;y good.
Today was the Poker Run to help raise money for Jose's family. Pretty much it's where you ride your motorcycle (or car) from point to point. There are five points total and at each stop you pick a playing card and what you pulled is recorded. The object is by the fifth stop to make a poker hand from the cards you picked. It's a lot of fun and its very scenic and pretty and hanging around with motorcyclists is pretty amazing! The last stop was a restaurant that a woman from the barn owns and there was a big party with food, drinks and raffle prizes. A lot of people turned out and everyone had a great time. All the proceeds go straight to Jose's family. It's such a great thing! According to some of the motorcyclists I befriended, they do these kind of runs every weekend for charity. I didn't know that but it's so amazing! Gail (my riding instructor) was pretty much the one who organized most of it and such and she was just so happy to see so many people out there supporting, motorcyclists and barn friends alike.
Tomorrow is back to cleaning my room aka WWIII according to my mom.
~Dragon Eyes~
No comments:
Post a Comment