About Me

My photo
I'm just a simple girl trying to make it in a complicated world.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Smell Like Pie


Yuppers. I came home today and all I could smell was pie on my shirt and in my hair. I guess that's what happens when you bake pies all day long at work!!

I survived my very first day of work today! It was tough. No doubt about that. I have never worked so hard or fast...or been so frazzled. But that's part of life. Today was finally opening day for us at the cider mill. After all that cleaning and organizing and stocking, we finally opening on an absolute gorgeous day! We opened promptly at 10am and worked non stop until 6pm. It was mad busy today and according to Dan and Kristy it wasn't usually as busy on the first day. Kelly and I were so busy in the bakery and kitchen that it was insane. The apple cider donuts went faster than we could make/restock them. We seriously went through about six cases of donuts in one day! I spent most of my time in the pie prep area and made pie after pie. At one point we were running out of our most popular pies and we were scrambling. We eventually got it all together but it was mad tough. Tomorrow we will be better prepared because we now know what to expect and how to operate everything.

At one point a rogue squirrel decided to take out our power, so the last hour of work was in the dark doing calculations on calculators and trying not to open fridges and freezers to save our supplies. All I know is I have never been so hot in my entire life. I have been freezing non-stop for like a week now. No matter what I am frozen. It's quite annoying. Last night I pulled my service heater next to my bed for warmth. Today I was dying. The walk in freezer that is kept at zero degrees was blessedly amazing. I also received my share of injuries while on the job. I burned my arm on a hot pie tray, scratches on my arm from cardboard boxes and then I managed to slice open my thumb on my right hand with a knife. Currently I have super glued it and will be taking a plethora of band aids to work tomorrow.

Usually Sundays are busier than Saturdays but since they are talking about rain and such, that might cut down on the people. It is opening weekend, though, so anything is possible. The first day is always the hardest, right?

I wonder if I am going to hear from Kyle tonight. He was being weird last night when I was talking to him. He said he just didn't feel like himself. I don't know what that means, but it worries me a little. Oh well. I guess I just gotta see what goes and see if I can still see him tomorrow since he has the day off.

Today was also the anniversary of when our world and lives changed forever. Nine years ago we watched in shock and terror as hijacked planes crashed into the World Trade Center Towers, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania. I remember exactly where I was when I first heard something was wrong. I was at lunch in middle school. My middle school refused to tell us what was happening around us. I think it made us all even more terrified because we had no idea what was happening. I still remember my period eight English teacher telling us to go home and turned on the news and watch because it would be a day that we would never forget. That is for sure. I have never forgotten those images that were played over and over again on my television screen. We will never forget.

~Dragon Eyes~



No comments:

Post a Comment