About Me

My photo
I'm just a simple girl trying to make it in a complicated world.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It Just Feels Right

There are some days when everything just seems to click into place and you find yourself truly loving what you are doing and who you are as a person. Everything just seems perfect. Today was one of those days for me. I got up and went to school and as always I found myself facing the same worries and fears that I face every time I go to my student teaching placement. Can I really do this? The answer that I always give myself is, I don't know. Everyone else around me tells me that I can do it and I am doing it. My mom is probably getting sick of it but I keeps leaving her a text message in the morning. She always responds with something that makes me feel good and allows me to see the good in the situation. For some reason hearing it from her makes all the difference in the world. Same as when my dad tells me it. I know it's going to be okay because they tell me it is and they know that it is. If they knew I couldn't do it they wouldn't tell me I could. They are just not those kinds of people. And I find myself thanking them every day for it. For the first time since freshman year of collage I call my parents on a daily basis. Just hearing their voices and words of comfort and wisdom are enough to keep me going even when the going seems impossible.





Today was the first time my teacher left me completely and utterly alone with a class of students. At first I was terrified, but then I realized that this was a good thing. I didn't have him watching me non-stop and I was able to teach and interact with the students in a little different way. They behaved so well for me. I was amazed. When they did group work or individual work, they were quiet and focused. They are never like that with my teacher. And it all just felt so right. I felt like I belonged there because it was suddenly like my own classroom. Today was the moment I realized that I really can do this. And even though it is hard and I sometimes wonder what I have gotten myself into, I find that in the end this is where I am meant to be.

Tonight was in interesting sort of night. In class we had a career service person come in and talk about job searching, cover letters, resumes and interviews. I loved it. She gave some of the most amazing advice. Even though it takes a person in the United States between 12 and 24 months to find a job, she gave advice about how to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Tonight was also the night that me and Jeanette went down to main street with other classmates and friends to meet our education professor Helen for food and fun. We were there from 7pm until now and it was a blast. I have missed her so much and it was so good to talk to her and tell her about our experiences and just know that she was there for all of us and that she loved to hear from us. She is definitely one of the professors that I will stay in touch with forever. She is one of those people you never have to worry about going and talking to because, while she is our teacher, she acts almost like our mom and mentor. There is just something about her that makes everything seem good and golden in the world. I know that if i ever need something that she is always there and more than willing to help. It was hard to say goodbye and walk back up the hill, but I was glad I went out. It also gave me and Jeanette some one on one bonding time that the two of us so desperately needed.

All in all tonight was just an amazing night. I can go to bed feeling secure in the fact that I am in the right field and I am doing something I love. I have always loved to teach. I taught my beanie babies school all the time when I was little and I had enough teachers that I loved in high school that made me want to go out and become a teacher myself. Even though the road has been long and hard and there are times when I feel like I never want to teach again, I find myself truly loving what I do. I stand up in front of a class and get to talk about my favorite thing in the world: history. I get to do what I love every day. How can you say no to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment